Monday 19 March 2012

KONY 2012 Opinions

Maybe I was wrong to think “KONY 2012” was too good to be true. Before I watched the video and knew very little about it, I was thinking that it’s just another moving story about the poor lives of Africans and that all they needed was heaps of money. And though eventually that is what Jason Russell (the guy who wants to make this all happen) asks of you, he made the video in such a way I almost felt like doing what he says was what I needed to be doing. I understand that news is spreading that it’s all a scam but considering about 85 million people have seen this video the chances of nobody questioning it is impossible.
The more I think about it the more it drives me insane. There is always a chance that all Jason Russell wants is money and popularity. Yet the way he crafted that movie reeled me into the cause. He was close friends with one of the victims of Joseph Kony, he sounded like he was a trust-worthy man and he had a little kid to top it off. By the end of the end of the video all I could remember was the name Kony and the prices of the wrist-bands.
Looking back on all I’ve said, I think I have managed to convince myself the campaign is bad. And it doesn’t help that I now know Jason Russell was caught on a drunken rampage in the nude. But of course another thing has changed my mind. http://www.kony2012.com/ has a list of what they call “The Culturemakers.” They are people whose voice and opinions count. Celebrities, put simply. And a lot of them I know. People like Ellen DeGeneres and Mark Zuckerberg. People who have only made my life better and I really doubt these people would sign up for scams. KONY 2012 has made my mind crowded with confusion and I’m going to settle on one decision…
KONY 2012 is a good, legitimate campaign and Jason Russell has merely crumbled a bit with the pressure of millions.      

No comments: